Samstag, 26. Oktober 2013

Cranberry Orange Scones or: The love I found in Washington, D.C.

With this headline everything is said :-)

Some years ago I stayed in Washington, D.C. for a few days. Whenever I had the opportunity to see something like the Capitol, White House, Lincoln Memorial, I simply did it (originally, I attended a conference on neuroscience). I liked the Smithsonian Museums a lot - especially the exhibitions concerning animals or nature. But the most exciting thing I could experience there was a talk of the Dalai Lama. He is such an outstanding person, laughs a lot - but also has good advices. It was just great!

BUT

One thing I had trouble with was food. I had an excellent burger - but that's it! I couldn't find any fresh food. Once I found an apple and paid 5 $ for it. But I didn't care, I had to buy this one. One gleam of hope every morning was having breakfast at St*rbuck's. I got my caramel macchiato (somehow I am addicted to this) and: cranberry orange scones. From the first bit I took I knew this would be endless love :-)

And today ... freshly baked cranberry orange scones at MY HOUSE!



They are SOOOO good! This love IS endless! Asking for the recipe? Here it is (based on a recipe by Taste of home // Starbucks Copycat; 8 pieces):

Preheat oven to 400 degree / 200°C.

2 cups of flour / 240 g* Mehl
10 tsp sugar / 10 TL Zucker
1 tbs grated orange peel (e.g. pickered dekor) / 1 EL Abrieb einer Orangenschale (z.B. Pickered Dekor)
2 tsp baking powder / 2 TL Backpulver
1/2 tsp salt / 1/2 TL Salz
1/4 tsp baking soda / 1/4 TL Backsoda

     in the mixing bowl and mix for 5 s / speed level 3

1/3 cup cold butter / 75 g kalte Butter

    another 5 s / speed level 5

2/3 cup dried cranberries / 80 g Cranberries
1/4 cup orange juice / 60 ml Orangensaft
1/4 cup milk / 60 ml Milch
1 egg / 1 Ei

     stir counter-clockwise for 30 s / speed level 3,5


Take out the dough onto a floured surface and knead it. You may need some more flour until the dough doesn't stick anymore. Take a huge round plate (appr. 18 cm in diameter) and fit the dough to the same size. Cut into 8 pieces and place them on a baking sheet with baking paper. Bake for 12 - 15 min until the scones are lightly brown (somehow golden). Let them cool down on a wire rack.

*I didn't work with grams, but with cups (see below) - I cannot guarantee that this will work with this information... I just calculated this based on informations I found on the internet.

For I'm not familiar with the unit "cup" I started calculating (see above)... But before I could start this experiment I found MY solution for the "cup problem":


This is SO helpful! I recommend this to everyone who wants to prepare american meals without calculating. This is a 4 piece plastic measuring cup set, offered by good cook.

And now? I'm going to have another scone!

Kommentare:

  1. Oh die sehen ja auch toll aus, vielen Dank für dein tolles Kommentar und dein Rezept! :)
    liebst Elisabeth-Amalie

    AntwortenLöschen
    Antworten
    1. Liebe Elisabeth-Amalie,

      danke - und ebenfalls! :)

      Liebe Grüße,
      Diana

      Löschen